9.11.2013

FREEZER PICKLES

I love cucumbers...and we do grow a lot each summer. Since we don't do canning I always fall back on a wonderful freezer pickle recipe shared by my mother-in-law. They are more sweet, than salty, but such a nice addition to hot dogs or hamburgers.


FREEZER PICKLES
4 cups of sliced cucumbers
2 cups of onions
4 teaspoons of salt
2 tablespoons of water
3/4 to 1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of cider vinegar
1 teaspoon of dried dill

Mix cucumbers, onion, salt and water. Let stand two hours and drain (but do not rinse).

Add sugar, vinegar and dill.  Let stand.  Stir from time to time until sugar dissolves and liquid covers cucumbers.

Pack in glass or plastic jars with 1" head-space.  Freeze.

Makes four 1/2 pint jars.


While I was at Williams-Sonoma a few weeks ago, I found some beautiful Weck jars for my pickles. I don't freeze my pickles in these, but instead place them inside once they are thawed to store in the refrigerator. Shall I dare admit, that I enjoy looking at my sweet pickles in these lovely jars?

If you'd like to read more articles like this one, please sign up for my email updates here.

No comments: